Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Fool by Christopher Moore


I picked up Fool by Christopher Moore last week. I knew he was working on another book but I had no idea when it might be coming out. I was pleased to see an ad for it from Borders in my in box. Usually I just junk these solicitations but I'm glad I took a look at this one. I dashed right out and picked up a copy of the book.

Fool is the story of King Lear told from the perspective of his faithful jester Pocket. I wish Chris Moore had been writing this stuff when I was in high school. I loved English but Shakespeare sucked. I would have paid a lot more attention had King Lear been this funny.

And it is funny. It might be just the placebo effect for me when I read Chris Moore. He could write the Winona phone book and it would be funny. Of course the Winona phone book is probably funny anyway but Chris Moore would make it extra funny I'm sure.

I started reading his books a little over two years ago. I had picked up A Dirty Job, based completely on the cover of the book, but had set it aside while I finished a remodel project that took all my time. In September of 2006 my father unexpectedly died and I needed something to distract me from the reality that was going on in my house. Dad left behind a mess and left me in charge of my mother and it was very stressful.

Reading A Dirty Job gave me a much needed break from reality. It was the first book that ever made me wet my pants, David Sedaris, Me Talk Pretty One Day, is the only other author to do so. After I finished A Dirty Job I went out and picked up all his other books. I have given them as gifts and recommended them to anyone who is looking for a great read. Sadly there are many people in my family who just don't get his writing. They are idiots and I am sorry I am related to them for this reason.

Cromely's World has done a great review of the book and that bastard actually got to meet Christopher Moore at a book signing. He even got his picture taken with him. I am so jealous. Cromely has reviewed many of Mr. Moore's works and he does a much better job than I could ever do so please check them out if you haven't been convinced yet to run out and buy all of Christopher Moore's books. You will not be sorry.

4 comments:

Margo said...

I enjoy Christopher Moore. I kind of tripped over him by accident too via A Dirty Job, and then went and read his others. The audio version of A Dirty Job is great if you're into audiobooks. I tried to listen to it in the car, but had forgotten about all the f-bombs... not good with the kiddies :) I'm looking forward to reading this one.

Jen said...

Bloodsucking Fiends and You Suck (the sequel) are also great. Hell they are all great. The Christmas one was a lot of fun too since it brought a lot of the characters together.

Stephanie said...

Oh thanks for the new author to look for!! I love to read and always am on the look out for new stuff :)

Cromely said...

Cue the Nelson "Ha Ha" picture.

Thanks. I appreciate the comment. Moore was surprising friendly throughout the evening. He seemed thoroughly bemused by the fan support.